New models - Audi - Q5 - SQ5
Facelifted Audi SQ5 TDI finally arrives Down Under
Audi’s new SQ5 TDI flaunts a new look while updated engine enhances driveability
1 Jun 2021
AUDI Australia’s facelifted SQ5 performance SUV has finally arrived Down Under with the now diesel-only family hauler priced from $104,900 plus on-road costs.
Slotting in at the top of the local Q5 range, the SQ5 TDI carries a $15,300 premium over the now penultimate 50 TDI quattro S line and offers buyers a heap more performance courtesy of its more potent turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine.
As previously reported by GoAuto, the facelifted SQ5 TDI’s mill actually produces less power than its predecessor – 251kW vs 255kW – however its 700Nm of torque has been made more readily available lower in the rev range in the name of driveability.
When all is said and done, the SQ5 TDI will launch from 0-100km/h in 5.1 seconds and push on to a limited top speed of 250km/h.
As ever for a high-performance Audi, drive is channelled to all four wheels via a remapped version of the outgoing model’s eight-speed automatic transmission.
Under normal driving conditions, the quattro all-paw system sends 40 per cent of the engine’s torque to the front axle and the remaining 60 per cent to the rear, however up to 85 per cent can be sent to rear if needed.
Thanks to its new forged steel pistons, piezo sensors for the fuel injectors, water/air intercooler, turbo compressor wheel and 48V mild-hybrid system, Audi says the new Q5 flagship will sip just 7.0 litres of fuel per 100km on the combined cycle and emit 185g of CO2 per kilometre.
To help what is ultimately a tall vehicle be as nimble as possible in the corners, Audi has lowered the SQ5’s ride height by 30mm and fitted firmer springs with height-adjustable air suspension optionally available.
Those wanting even more athletic ability can also opt for the quattro sport differential.
Standard equipment meanwhile is headlined by 21-inch Audi Sport alloy wheels, red brake callipers, Matrix LED headlights with automatic high beam, dynamic turn signals, keyless entry and start, power tailgate, privacy glass, 10.1-inch infotainment system with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, duel device Bluetooth, wireless charging, DAB+ digital radio, 19-speaker Bang and Olufsen premium sound system, head-up display, 30-colour ambient lighting, tri-zone climate control, heated front seats, Nappa leather upholstery, sliding second row and a multifunction leather steering wheel.
Safety features meanwhile extend to autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist, active lane assist, collision avoidance assist, rear cross-traffic assist, park assist, hill descent control, hold assist, parking sensors all round, surround-view camera, a reversing camera and the usual suite of airbags, ABS, traction and stability controls.
According to Audi Australia managing director Paul Sansom, the new SQ5 TDI “represents an Audi icon in its finest form” to date.
“The instant success of the recently returned SQ5 TDI special edition models confirm the continued appeal of a high-performance TDI engine in this segment,” he said.
“The new- generation 3.0 TDI V6 brings the very latest technology to deliver crushing performance, with impressive efficiency and very low emissions.”
Later in the year the SQ5 TDI will be joined by a coupe-esque Sportback version which should check into local showrooms a few grand upstream of its wagon sibling.
Audi Australia has sold 1210 Q5s so far this year ending April, accounting for 12 per cent of the $60,000-plus medium SUV market.
2021 Audi Q5 pricing*
*Excludes on-road costs
The Road to Recovery podcast series
15th of April 2021
Audi unveils 520km Q4 E-Tron electric SUV
No local confirmation for most mainstream Audi EVs yet, the Q4 E-Tron and Sportback
16th of December 2020
Audi details facelifted Q5 range
Audi’s new Q5 range grows from five grades to seven with prices up across the board
27th of November 2020
Audi confirms new SQ5 Sportback TDI flagship
Audi’s SQ5 is headed here next year in both wagon and Sportback forms
13th of November 2020
Facelifted Audi SQ5 TDI here Q2, 2021
Audi’s new SQ5 TDI loses a few kW but improves on low-end shove
2nd of October 2020
First drive: Audi’s electric revolution begins
Audi Australia debuts e-tron SUV in conjunction with renewable energy commitment
26th of September 2020
Audi adds Sportback body style to Q5 SUV
Audi expands SUV portfolio with addition of Q5 Sportback, due in Aus H2 2021
All new models
Motor industry news