Car reviews - Porsche - 911 - Carrera S cabriolet
Porsche 911 is transformed with a slick, new auto transmission, but at a price
16 Jan 2009
PORSCHE has just widened the appeal of the iconic 911 Carrera with a brilliant new automatic transmission that is the centerpiece of a mid-life upgrade for the 997 model. All new Carrera models, including the cabrio version we test here, have been given a performance upgrade thanks to direct fuel injection and are also now available with the new dual-clutch automatic gearbox. Called PDK, the transmission changes gears in a fraction of a second and is far superior to the previous Tiptronic system which was a regular torque converter type automatic. Porsche has also made some minor styling upgrades including new front and rear lights as well as mild bumper changes.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
Model release date: 1 October 2008 to 1 January 2012
Porsche 997-series 911Released:
Sept 2008Family Tree: 911
LAUNCHED in October 2004, the 997 continued the evolution of the iconic 911. It arrived on the scene seven years after the 996 with new levels of performance, comfort and agility. Owners now had the extra choice of a 3.8-litre Carrera S engine or the standard, but still potent 3.6-litre unit. The styling was not all that different to the previous model, in keeping with the slowly-but-surely design direction of the super sportscar.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new 911
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Carrera 4 AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4 AWD Coupe
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4S AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4S AWD Coupe
Carrera S cabriolet
Carrera S Coupe
Targa 4 GTS
Turbo S Exclusive
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.